Sunday, January 09, 2005

My Personal 'Will Knot & Mr.Watt' Tale

Its nothing new when someone calls us and v r not able to recognize their voice or we confuse them for someone else. It happens to the best of us. But its heights when your own parents confuse u with ur sibling over the phone (& no, we are not identical twins). Infact until this incident happened I never thought there's any similarity between my sis & me, whatsoever. We don't look alike, we dont dress alike, our tastes ranging from food to fashion to men are poles apart. In short, we are anything but similar.
But every once in a while something like this happens that just proves me wrong. This incident happened when I was still in school (just after my 11th exams) and sis was doing her MBA in Pune. I, alongwith a few friends of mine had gone to bid farewell to a friend who was moving out of town for good. The train had got delayed by an hr and was now arriving at 10:00 pm instead of the scheduled 9:00 pm. In a small town like ours, 10:00 pm is considered quite late & so to save my parents a sudden fluctuation in their heartrate and blood pressure, I thought of calling them & telling them about the delay. Here's how the conversation went:

Daddy: Hello
Me: Hi Daddy! Its me.
D: Hi sweety, how are u?
(M: eh, Whats this formality about? I just saw them half an hr back)
M: I am fine. How r u? (If Dad wants formality then so be it)
D: We are doing good. Hows your studies going on?
(M: Is this a trick Qn? Is he being sarc that I am out with friends? Did mom squeal about my marks?
M: Hmm ... well, studies are going on fine.
D: Thats good to hear. Listen, you have got an interview letter.
M: What interview letter?
D: Its from xyz (it all sounded greek & latin to me, anyway) company in Bombay.
M: xyz? Whats that?
D: How do we know. You applied for it.
M: When did I apply? (Which company? When did I apply? They responded ... cool)
D: (After scanning through the 'supposed' interview letter) last month.
M: (What the $#%^? How forgetful can I be - cant even remember something that I applied for? How am I gonna pass my 12th board?)
D: Its at 10:00 am, Sunday morning.
M: Sunday? Its day after. How am I gonna go there? (Logistically, its impossible. Can I postpone the interview but WHAT INTERVIEW IS IT? Damn!)
D: Take a train or bus.
M: What about reservation? Will u not be coming with me? (I will have to start tonight ALONE! How come he is letting me travel all by myself???)
D: Ofcourse not. U take some friend with u.
M: (Friend? %#$@ I knew it - its always about my friends. Why are they after me & my friends? Dad must be really pissed that I am out so late.)
D: Ok, here talk to Mom, she is trying to pull the phone out of my hand. (& gives the phone to Ma or maybe Ma succeeds, whatever)
Ma: Hi muththe (pearl). How are u?
M: (Oh no, here we go again. Whats come over them?) I am fine.
Ma: Did u have ur dinner?
M: No, will have it when I get back. (Hope the samosas get digested before I reach home)
Ma: Good. Don't get thin. Dont diet.
M: (Diet & me - why is she pulling my leg?) No Ma, I wont.
Ma: Ur phone bill must be running high. Keep the phone. We will call u once u r back in Pune.
M: Pune? (& now just like the reality of Keyser Soze's identity dawns on the cop in 'The Usual Suspect', the reality behind the extra sweetness, interview, Bombay, no dieting instructions, everything, also dawns on me. Everything falls in place & I almost yell on the phone) Ma, this is Reenu not Beenu. I just called up to say the train is delayed & I will be late.
Ma: Oh, so its u, we thought its your sister. Yeah, ok ... come back soon. (Her disappointment so evident in her voice).

Since then everytime I call my parents I start with: "Hi Daddy, its me, from US" saves them a lot of disappointment and me, a lot of confusion.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ravi Handa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 10, 2005 at 1:40:00 AM EST  
Blogger Ravi Handa said...

thank god i have a sister and well.. our voices are very different

January 10, 2005 at 1:41:00 AM EST  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

Tht was hillarious..
tho come to think of it my sis and i dnt hv tht wildly contrasting voices..however i dnt think my mom has ever created such a faux paux yet.

January 10, 2005 at 3:09:00 PM EST  
Blogger Surinder said...

: )) : )) : )) : ))

January 10, 2005 at 10:44:00 PM EST  
Blogger Siju said...

:)))))))))
Very funny indeed looking form your side.
But I have not yet developed the skill of recognizing voice through the phone!!!!

Its true that I don't get many phone calls and got no chance to develop that particular skill hahaha!! LOL!!!
only a handful of people call me that too occassionally.
Guess you have that skill inherently like some others :)))))))

Its a bit difficult for me to recognize my Father's voice and my younger brothers voice through the Phone.
And Last time I called one of my friends, his mother took the phone but the sound was like a 7 year old boy (or so it felt to me) and I asked almost same ridiculous questions to her thinking that it is my friends younger brother and got embarassed :)))))
So now a days I ask the person's identity on the other side before I blurt it out.

And this incident happened a few weeks back!!!
I have a naughty 11th STD girl in my family called Lisa. I had told her to come home with her brother in 5th STD to stay at home for christmas but unfortunately I had to shift stay from my home to my uncle's(father's eldest brother) at palarivattom because aunty left him alone to Dubai to care for her newly born Grandson.

After they reached home and experienced the betrayel of my absence (hey!! but I had left ice creams, baloons and such stuff for them at home) :)) she called me up to my uncles house and asked for Siju (usually they call me achachan) and my uncle gave me the phone and this girl asked me to guess her!!!!
I was a bit nervous because there is no girl who calls me like this!!! I think the last time a girl called me was when you came to India years back & Jinny has not called me at all and I don't have connections with any nor do I give my Ph no.to any to expect such a circumstance.

With my frowning uncle sitting in front I tried to cover my nervousness and embarassment and yess!!! that particlar weired feeling you experience in such situations :)))

So since I had no database to guess from I finally asked if it was "Lisa" and she would not agree finally her countryside language and her laughter due toexcitement gave her away!!!
Now when a girl calls me I know who!!! :))))

After the call was over my uncle asked who it was!!!!
hahaha!!! :))))))

oh my!!! is this comment longer than your post????
keep writing!! I am one day late than I promised but will keep comming and keep encouraging :)))

luv

January 13, 2005 at 12:09:00 AM EST  
Blogger Siju said...

oops!! I forgot to tell you who Lisa is!!!
She is my mother's cousin sister's daughter!!!
Her brother is Lino!! --a very very naughty and funny young man!!! haha!!

You can never scold him because he is always funny and always laughing!!

luv

sij

January 13, 2005 at 1:08:00 AM EST  
Blogger Reena Mathews said...

Handa: What had u written that u had to remove the post? :)

Dreamcatcher: U r new here, keep visiting. BTW, I checked ur Oct 27th post about ur sis & u - nice one.

January 15, 2005 at 12:55:00 AM EST  
Blogger Siju said...

So where are u dear???
and What happened to you dear??
no noise!!!?????

life in the fast lane??
busy???????

luv

January 20, 2005 at 7:01:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://msrkcdut.com/nqom/ozia.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://kclzqidh.com/likd/tfms.html]Cool site[/url]

October 7, 2006 at 6:29:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

October 7, 2006 at 6:29:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://msrkcdut.com/nqom/ozia.html | http://wqldpqdk.com/azdr/iuij.html

October 7, 2006 at 6:29:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home