Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A Flight to Cherish

I went on a short official trip to Portland last week - flew in our corporate jet. The added perks were - no security checks (which really are a pain in the 'wherever-u-want', esp if u are brown skinned), munchies, foodies, wine, beer, etc but the most interesting part of the journey was that I got to spend close to two hours in the cockpit. The pilots were more than willing to chat with me and explained the gadgets and the autopilot mechanism and demonstrated how they balance the yoke, throttle & pedals all at the same time (I dont think they come across such keen audience like me very often). At one time, they tilted the plane to a cool 45 degrees while I stood there wedged between the seats. I felt like a kid watching in awe the magician's tricks. U may find this silly. In this age of internet, all I need to do is search on google and I will find more information than the pilots could ever give me but seeing it all in real was totally different. If it werent for my project mates I would have happily yelled 'Eureka Eureka!'. It was an amazing experience, more so bcoz I know that that was the closest I would ever come to see what makes a machine fly. The pilots were really nice and allowed me to stand even as we began our descent (thats when we are required to buckle our seat belts) & finally, when we were a minute and a half away from the runway, they asked me to buckle up. And as I returned to my seat, all my co-passengers thanked the Almighty aloud, relieved to know that I wasn't landing the plane.

Anywayz, it was nice to know that the kid in me is still alive and this will definitely remain a cherished trip for me forever.

8 Comments:

Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Oh yes its delightful....I think the child is us is there forever, only we're too scared of looking silly to let the kid out.

February 23, 2005 at 12:57:00 AM EST  
Blogger Siju said...

Nice to know that you are lucky to have such rare experiences :) its a wonder what lies ahead of us in life isn't it??? could you have ever imagined that you would meet such kind piolots on a plane when you were in tcr?? again it is scary sometimes, nobody on the twin towers ever thought the would be hit by a plane just the previous day!!!

Enjoy :)) makes me glad :))

luv

February 23, 2005 at 8:09:00 AM EST  
Blogger Surinder said...

wow !!! u r soo o lucky to do all that !!! ..

and yeah .. never let that child die :) ..

February 28, 2005 at 2:20:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What makes a aeroplane fly are the thrust from the jets/ turbo props together with the lift it gains from the peculiar structure of the wings, not those gizmos inside the cockpit :P....
*ducks and promises not to make any more nasty comments*

later,

Sajith

March 5, 2005 at 9:56:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://svpnpnkx.com/mpct/fezo.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lsdudzep.com/huqp/enfw.html]Cool site[/url]

September 14, 2006 at 3:27:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

September 14, 2006 at 3:27:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://svpnpnkx.com/mpct/fezo.html | http://ovnbhsct.com/xsua/exzt.html

September 14, 2006 at 3:28:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya the child is there in all, sometimes we become stupidly childish and at other times the child takes us to the 'neverland'
Classification of human emotions is a disease called craving for self appreciation from others(..those souls who havent known the necter of their own heart); neverthless has created people who write and read with a sense of intellectual milestones being achieved.........

March 5, 2007 at 2:13:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home